Trying to think of a unique way to express your love to that special someone? Consider these creative off the wall ideas to tell your partner that you care.
1. Use Your Talents
Are you skilled at creating art, writing, or photography? Why not put your talents to use to express your love? However, to make the experience truly off the wall, think bigger. Try the following:
- Create an oversized or mural painting.
- Make a three-dimensional poster.
- Instead of writing a song, why not compose an entire album?
- Don’t just write a note, how about a series of short stories, E-book, or graphic novel?
Harnessing your own talents is not only a meaningful way to express your love, but a chance to truly think outside of the box.
2. Step Outside Your Comfort Zone
Another way you can step outside the box to express your love? Get out of your comfort zone. For example, let’s say that you want to plan a day at the amusement park. Your partner loves roller coasters. You want to love roller coasters, but they are just not your cup of tea. Why not take the risk and share with your partner in that experience? It will show that you are willing to push yourself for your partner and impress them with your willingness to try.
3. Do Something Spontaneous
Is spontaneity usually not your thing? Do you plan every outing and activity down to the last detail? Try something new and throw caution to the wind. Let the day take you where it will. For example:
- Throw a dart at a local map for a driving destination.
- Pick an activity of your partners’ choice out of a hat.
- Jump in the car and just start going somewhere.
The fun thing about spontaneity is that it helps you stay more in the moment instead of worrying about planning and preparing. This also means that you can better focus on your partner.
4. Surprise Your Partner with a Trip
Why not surprise your partner with getaway? Think of someplace they have mentioned or wish to go. Then, make all the arrangements ahead of time. This could be a day trip, a weekend escape to a cabin, or a weeklong trip to the Caribbean. Of course, be sure that your partner would enjoy being surprised this way. Otherwise, the idea will backfire. You could compromise by asking your partner to be packed for a trip by Friday but surprise them with the details of the destination.
5. Express Your Love with a Meal
Do you enjoy cooking? You can also express your love with a well-prepared meal. Go all out to make it something special. For example:
- Come up with a detailed menu, including appetizers, a main course, and dessert.
- Prepare foods that require thoughtful and unusual flavorings and pairings.
- Serve an adventurous beverage that goes well with the meal.
- Consider your presentation. Try blindfold taste-testing or eat each course in a different locale or room of the house.
Take the experience of eating at a world-class restaurant and bring it into your home.
6. Create a Coupon Book
Want to spread out the love to more than one event or activity? Create a coupon book full of ideas that your partner can redeem throughout the year. It can include some of the ideas listed above, as well as your own creations. The idea is that love isn’t restricted to one day a year or even an occasional treat. Instead, it is something that exists creatively all-year round.
When you want to express your love, the sky is the limit. When thinking about how to be “off the wall,” just remember to express love meaningfully, in ways you’ll both enjoy. Ultimately, your partner will see that whatever expression you choose comes from the heart.
Sarah Wilson, PhD, is an licensed marriage and family therapist associate with the Relationship Counseling Center of Austin. If you need help to get back on track and find the fun in your relationship again, contact Dr. Wilson at 512-270-4883, ext. 104, or request an appointment with her on the RCC Austin Scheduling page.